Friday, July 3, 2009

Surprise.....We are expecting!!!!

Monday, June 29, we had a doctor's appointment at 11:00 in Holland to hear the heartbeat. I was so excited for this visit. I could not wait to hear the heartbeat and know that everything was okay with our baby. We got to the doctor's office to find out that he was running 30 minutes late. This of course did not make Scot nor I real happy due to the fact we were both away from work. We finally got in and spoke to Nurse Kathy first. She went over my blood work which everything looked great. Kathy is the one who helped us find the heartbeat. She told me to pull my pants down a ways b/c usually the uterus is way below your belly button. Then she said, you are actually measuring bigger than what you should be for 3 months. I asked what is that suppose to mean. She explained it could mean three things:
1. You are further along than we think.
2. That is the way your body is, or
3. You are having twins!!!!

Scot and I looked at each other and thought no way! My sister, Sarah and Scot's Dad both told us we were having twins before our appointment so it has been kind of the joke in our families.

Kathy explained that the only to find out for sure is to do an ultra sound. She move the "wand" around my belly and found a heart beat on my right hand side. The heart beat was around 163. Then she kept moving the "wand" and stopped on my left side. She gave me this weird look, and I said to her, you found another heart beat, didn't you??? She then again told me, we will not know if there are twins until we do an ultrasound. Kathy then left to find out with the ultra sound tech if we could fit in her schedule. I asked Kathy to really push for today, I could not wait to find out.

Then my doctor came in and did a routine physical. He stated as well that my uterus was measuring bigger than it should be.

As I was getting dressed, Kathy knocked on the door and told me that Lori, the ultra sound tech could get me in right now. We got Scot from the waiting room and headed down to the ultra sound room. My mind was just racing!!!!

I laid down and I could not see the screen that Lori and Scot could see. She put some of the jelly on my belly and it was very warm. She started moving the bigger "wand" around and the next thing I remember is Scot stating, Sure enough. I asked him, what do you mean, sure enough??? Lori starts rubbing my arm and said, sweetie you are having TWINS!!!! I could not believe it and was in so much shock!!! Lori than turned on the TV screen to my left and sure enough there were two babies as plain as day. Scot had the biggest smile on his face. I will never forget this day and how Scot and I felt with the wonderful news we received!!!

After leaving the doctor's office, I called my family to tell them the news and Scot called his family. I called my sister Sarah first. The first thing she said to me was not hello but "So, how many heartbeats? I told her two and she did not believe me for the longest time. Then I called my Dad on his cell and told him we had to go shopping for another crib. Of course, he did not believe me either. I think when he finally believed me, he was getting emotional b/c I could hear it in his voice. I then called my mom and told her the same thing I told my Dad and she did not believe me either.

Scot and I both went back to work, knowing we were not going to be able to concentrate. I ended up telling everyone at work that not only was I expecting, but I was expecting TWINS!!!

After talking to several people at work, I as able to leave at 2:00. Scot called me on my way to Holly's house and said he is leaving work as well b/c he can not concentrate and we need to tell his grandparents.

We spent the next few hours stopping by family and friends telling them our news and then telling them our bigger news, WE ARE HAVING TWINS!!!!!

2 comments:

Lori Breuker said...

I just happened upon your blog....so fun to help you out on Monday....I hope you got over your shock. just one thing, it is your uterus that is measuring big....not your ovary :) enjoy this special time and hope to see you soon for another peek....Lori hopefully your fav. ultrasound tech now.....:)

Slotman Family said...

Scot and Missy -- you have no idea how excited we are for you!! Mike is the one that passed on the news to me from Marcy, and my jaw completely dropped! We will continue to pray for your two little ones -- what a blessing!!!