Saturday, January 29, 2011

Wine Tasting in Traverse City

Can you believe that none of us were ready to leave the hotel till 12:30 this afternoon?? I guess that is what happens when you don't get to bed till 2:30 AM and you don't have kids waking you up at 7:00 AM.

We headed down town to do a little bit of shopping and to get lunch. I found the cutest shoes for the girls!

Around 3:00 we took off for our wine tasting tour. This is the first time Scot and I have done this and I can not even begin to explain what a beautiful drive it is. I thought it was beautiful in the middle of winter I can only imagine how gorgeous it is in the fall. Scot and I are not wine drinkers so we had no idea what to expect or if we would even enjoy ourselves. Our first stop was 2Lads. Our group was basically the only ones there which was nice because we did not have to wait to taste any wine. They give you a glass and a list of the wines they are currently allowing their guests to taste. They recommend you start with white wine and work your way to the red wine. 2Lads had a very small section of wine to test and I did not care too much for the wine at this location. Our 2nd stop was Chateau Chantal. This winery is huge and very beautiful! There were more visitors at this winery, however we were lucky again and were able to all taste the wine at the same time. At Chateau Chantal they give you 6 chips and you are allowed to pick only 6 wines to test. Some of the wines took 2 chips which allowed you only 5 wines to taste. Scot and I really enjoyed the Sparkling Cherry Wine and even bought a bottle. Who knows...we might become wine drinkers after all. Our last stop was Bowers Harbor Vineyards. This was a very cute winery. We did not buy any wine at this location, but Scot did purchase Feta and Pink Peppercorn which is a bread dip that he fell in love with.

We were only able to hit 3 vineyards because they all close at 5:00. Scot and I had an awesome time tasting wine and would love to do it again. After our last stop we headed back to the hotel to rest. A few of us chilled out in the hot tub. At 8:00 we headed out to Apache Trout Grill for dinner. I got the Char Grilled Filet and Scot got ribs. It was so YUMMY!!! And I hate to admit it, but Scot and I ended the night stuffing our faces with another cheesecake!

After dinner we went back to the hotel to drink some wine and catch up with one another. We had such good conversations that it was 2:00 AM again before I went to bed. I can't tell you the last time I went to bed two nights in a row at 2:00 AM!!!

No comments: