Monday, January 11, 2010

The Birth of Skylar & Alysha

Today marks two weeks old for Skylar and Alysha. What is really crazy is to think today, January 12, is their actual due date. I finally have a quiet moment and hope to catch up on my blogging....


Monday, December 28 at 8:45 we had a doctor's appointment. When Scot and I arrived we learned that Dr. Siegers was at Holland Hospital doing another delivery. Scot and I were really bummed because we were hoping to schedule a c-section sometime this week. I had to do another stress test, which was good because Scot got to experience it with me and helped hold one of the monitors because we had a hard time keeping twin A on the monitor. I think the nurses were hoping as well that Dr. Siegers would be back after I finished the stress test. No such luck, Dr. Siegers wasn't going to be back till after lunch.
We still seen my nurse, Kathy. Thankfully Kathy knew what I was feeling because she had twins herself. I talked to her about scheduling a c-section because the twins have not moved and still were horizontal. Bless Kathy's heart she called Dr. Siegers at the hospital and did everything she could to help us get a c-section scheduled this week. We left the doctor's office with Kathy telling us that most likely we will have a c-section on Tuesday or Wednesday because Dr. Siegers was going to do his best to get it scheduled. When we got home from running errands there was a message from Kathy, stating that she hopes we weren't busy at 12:30 on Tuesday because we were going to have our children.


I was so excited and at the same time very nervous! It was so weird to know that Monday night was our last night just the two of us. And it was weird to think that this is the last time I will feel my babies move in my stomach. I wanted to enjoy every last minute of it. Of course there was so many other things I wanted to get done before the twins arrived but was just to tired to do so.


Tuesday, we had to be at the hospital at 11:00 am for prepping. I had to have another stress test when we got there (thankfully this was my last stress test!) During the stress test you could see that I was having small contractions. It seemed like a long time before 12:30 and my nerves were going crazy because I never had surgery before and had no idea what to expect. I was really excited to find out what the sex was of our twins. Scot and I thought the whole time it was going to be a girl and a boy. We were told that a set of twins were already born in the morning and they were a boy and a girl. What are the chances we would have the same??


I had to get my spinal block in before Scot could join us in the operating room. Per Scot, the c-section started around 12:45 and Skylar was born at 12:58 pm and Alysha was born at 12:59 pm. I was amazed how quickly it went. Scot watched the whole c-section.

It was crazy because Dr. Siegers said Twin B was going to come out first. Twin B was the top baby in my stomach. I would have thought the bottom twin, Twin A, would have come out first because The most confusing thing for Scot and I was that the first twin born was called Twin A. So...for 8 months what we were were calling Twin B just turned into Twin A. Thankfully there were no complications with the c-section and the twins were both born very healthy! I was sore after the c-section and my feeling in my legs finally came back around 3:30. I was so thankful that all went well and for the wonderful hospital staff.

Skylar Grace
Alysha Joy

Proud Parents

Our parents were so excited to see their granddaughters!!

1 comment:

Lori Breuker said...

They are beautiful, I am so glad to see and hear more, can't wait to see you , I hope you can at least bring pictures in when you come in for your 6 week appt( which is hopefully on a Mon or Thurs) :) God has blessed you both and I am so happy for you .